Cabinetmakers & Bench Carpenters
Description : Cut, shape, and assemble wooden articles or set up and operate a variety of woodworking machines, such as power saws, jointers, and mortisers to surface, cut, or shape lumber or to fabricate parts for wood products.
JobTitles : Cabinet Maker, Cabinet Assembler, Frame Builder, Machine Operator, Cabinet Builder, Cabinet Installer, Cutter, Double End Tenon Operator, Framer, Router Operator
- Produce or assemble components of articles, such as store fixtures, office equipment, cabinets, or high-grade furniture.
- Verify dimensions or check the quality or fit of pieces to ensure adherence to specifications.
- Set up or operate machines, including power saws, jointers, mortisers, tenoners, molders, or shapers, to cut, mold, or shape woodstock or wood substitutes.
- Measure and mark dimensions of parts on paper or lumber stock prior to cutting, following blueprints, to ensure a tight fit and quality product.
- Reinforce joints with nails or other fasteners to prepare articles for finishing.
- Attach parts or subassemblies together to form completed units, using glue, dowels, nails, screws, or clamps.
- Establish the specifications of articles to be constructed or repaired or plan the methods or operations for shaping or assembling parts, based on blueprints, drawings, diagrams, or oral or written instructions.
- Cut timber to the right size and shape and trim parts of joints to ensure a snug fit, using hand tools, such as planes, chisels, or wood files.
- Match materials for color, grain, or texture, giving attention to knots or other features of the wood.
- Trim, sand, or scrape surfaces or joints to prepare articles for finishing.