Description : Plan, lay out, and construct wooden unit or sectional patterns used in forming sand molds for castings.
JobTitles : Pattern Maker, Wood Pattern Maker, Journeyman Patternmaker, Apprentice Pattern Maker, Mold Maker
- Read blueprints, drawings, or written specifications to determine sizes and shapes of patterns and required machine setups.
- Lay out patterns on wood stock and draw outlines of units, sectional patterns, or full-scale mock-ups of products, based on blueprint specifications and sketches, and using marking and measuring devices.
- Verify dimensions of completed patterns, using templates, straightedges, calipers, or protractors.
- Set up, operate, and adjust a variety of woodworking machines such as bandsaws and lathes to cut and shape sections, parts, and patterns, according to specifications.
- Trim, smooth, and shape surfaces, and plane, shave, file, scrape, and sand models to attain specified shapes, using hand tools.
- Fit, fasten, and assemble wood parts together to form patterns, models, or sections, using glue, nails, dowels, bolts, and screws.
- Correct patterns to compensate for defects in castings.
- Construct wooden models, templates, full scale mock-ups, jigs, or molds for shaping parts of products.
- Compute dimensions, areas, volumes, and weights.
- Mark identifying information such as colors or codes on patterns, parts, and templates to indicate assembly methods.