Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
Description : Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
JobTitles : Reactor Operator (RO), Nuclear Station Operator (NSO), Nuclear Reactor Operator, Nuclear Control Room Operator, Nuclear Power Reactor Operator, Nuclear Control Operator, Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO), Nuclear Unit Operator, Licensed Reactor Operator, Nuclear Operator
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.