Description : Fabricate and repair jewelry articles. Make models or molds to create jewelry items.
JobTitles : Bench Jeweler, Jeweler, Goldsmith, Earrings Fabricator, Gemologist
- Smooth soldered joints and rough spots, using hand files and emery paper, and polish smoothed areas with polishing wheels or buffing wire.
- Position stones and metal pieces, and set, mount, and secure items in place, using setting and hand tools.
- Create jewelry from materials such as gold, silver, platinum, and precious or semiprecious stones.
- Make repairs, such as enlarging or reducing ring sizes, soldering pieces of jewelry together, and replacing broken clasps and mountings.
- Clean and polish metal items and jewelry pieces, using jewelers' tools, polishing wheels, and chemical baths.
- Select and acquire metals and gems for designs.
- Compute costs of labor and materials in order to determine production costs of products and articles.
- Mark and drill holes in jewelry mountings in order to center stones according to design specifications.
- Examine assembled or finished products to ensure conformance to specifications, using magnifying glasses or precision measuring instruments.
- Construct preliminary models of wax, metal, clay, or plaster, and form sample castings in molds.