Painters, Transportation Equipment
Description : Operate or tend painting machines to paint surfaces of transportation equipment, such as automobiles, buses, trucks, trains, boats, and airplanes. Includes painters in auto body repair facilities.
JobTitles : Painter, Auto Painter (Automobile Painter), Paint Prepper, Automotive Painter, Automotive Refinish Technician, Automotive Paint Technician, Finish Painter, Paint Technician, Automotive Spray Painter, Body Man
- Dispose of hazardous waste in an appropriate manner.
- Select paint according to company requirements, and match colors of paint following specified color charts.
- Mix paints to match color specifications or vehicles' original colors, then stir and thin the paints, using spatulas or power mixing equipment.
- Remove grease, dirt, paint, or rust from vehicle surfaces in preparation for paint application, using abrasives, solvents, brushes, blowtorches, washing tanks, or sandblasters.
- Pour paint into spray guns and adjust nozzles and paint mixes for proper paint flow and coating thickness.
- Monitor painting operations to identify flaws, such as blisters or streaks, and correct their causes.
- Sand vehicle surfaces between coats of paint or primer to remove flaws and enhance adhesion for subsequent coats.
- Disassemble, clean, and reassemble sprayers and power equipment, using solvents, wire brushes, and cloths for cleaning duties.
- Spray prepared surfaces with specified amounts of primers and decorative or finish coatings.
- Remove accessories from vehicles, such as chrome or mirrors, and mask other surfaces with tape or paper in order to protect them from paint.