Subway & Streetcar Operators
Description : Operate subway or elevated suburban trains with no separate locomotive, or electric-powered streetcar, to transport passengers. May handle fares.
JobTitles : Train Operator, Light Rail Operator, Rail Operator, Combined Rail Operator, Streetcar Operator, Transit Operator, Trolley Operator, Light Rail Vehicle Operator (LRV Operator), Bus Operator, Rapid Transit Operator (RTO)
- Operate controls to open and close transit vehicle doors.
- Drive and control rail-guided public transportation, such as subways, elevated trains, and electric-powered streetcars, trams, or trolleys, to transport passengers.
- Monitor lights indicating obstructions or other trains ahead and watch for car and truck traffic at crossings to stay alert to potential hazards.
- Direct emergency evacuation procedures.
- Regulate vehicle speed and the time spent at each stop to maintain schedules.
- Report delays, mechanical problems, and emergencies to supervisors or dispatchers, using radios.
- Make announcements to passengers, such as notifications of upcoming stops or schedule delays.
- Complete reports, including shift summaries and incident or accident reports.
- Greet passengers, provide information, and answer questions concerning fares, schedules, transfers, and routings.
- Attend meetings on driver and passenger safety to learn ways in which job performance might be affected.