Description : Operate small motor-driven boats. May assist in navigational activities.
JobTitles : Launch Operator, Boat Operator, Crew Boat Operator, Water Taxi Operator, Launchman, Watch Leader, Charter Boat Operator, Pilot Boat Operator
- Maintain desired courses, using compasses or electronic navigational aids.
- Follow safety procedures in order to ensure the protection of passengers, cargo, and vessels.
- Direct safety operations in emergency situations.
- Operate engine throttles and steering mechanisms in order to guide boats on desired courses.
- Oversee operation of vessels used for carrying passengers, motor vehicles, or goods across rivers, harbors, lakes, and coastal waters.
- Secure boats to docks with mooring lines, and cast off lines to enable departure.
- Service motors by performing tasks such as changing oil and lubricating parts.
- Arrange repairs, fuel, and supplies for vessels.
- Maintain equipment such as range markers, fire extinguishers, boat fenders, lines, pumps, and fittings.
- Organize and direct the activities of crew members.