Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining
Description : Operate underground loading machine to load coal, ore, or rock into shuttle or mine car or onto conveyors. Loading equipment may include power shovels, hoisting engines equipped with cable-drawn scraper or scoop, or machines equipped with gathering arms and conveyor.
JobTitles : Loader Operator, Loading Machine Operator, Shuttle Car Operator, Load Haul Dump Operator (LHD Operator), Miner, Miner Operator, Muck Hauler, Production Miner, Under Ground Miner
- Pry off loose material from roofs and move it into the paths of machines, using crowbars.
- Move trailing electrical cables clear of obstructions, using rubber safety gloves.
- Drive machines into piles of material blasted from working faces.
- Operate levers to move conveyor booms or shovels so that mine contents such as coal, rock, and ore can be placed into cars or onto conveyors.
- Clean hoppers, and clean spillage from tracks, walks, driveways, and conveyor decking.
- Oil, lubricate, and adjust conveyors, crushers, and other equipment, using hand tools and lubricating equipment.
- Replace hydraulic hoses, headlight bulbs, and gathering-arm teeth.
- Stop gathering arms when cars are full.
- Advance machines in order to gather material and convey it into cars.
- Start conveyor booms and gathering-arm motors, and operate winches to position cars under boom-conveyors for loading.