Laborers & Freight, Stock, & Material Movers, Hand
Description : Manually move freight, stock, or other materials or perform other general labor. Includes all manual laborers not elsewhere classified.
JobTitles : Dock Worker, Laborer, Line Tender, Loader, Material Handler, Merchandise Pickup/Receiving Associate, Receiver, Receiving Associate, Shipping and Receiving Materials Handler, Warehouse Worker
- Move freight, stock, or other materials to and from storage or production areas, loading docks, delivery vehicles, ships, or containers, by hand or using trucks, tractors, or other equipment.
- Sort cargo before loading and unloading.
- Attach identifying tags to containers or mark them with identifying information.
- Read work orders or receive oral instructions to determine work assignments or material or equipment needs.
- Stack cargo in locations such as transit sheds or in holds of ships as directed, using pallets or cargo boards.
- Record numbers of units handled or moved, using daily production sheets or work tickets.
- Install protective devices, such as bracing, padding, or strapping, to prevent shifting or damage to items being transported.
- Direct spouts and position receptacles, such as bins, carts, or containers so they can be loaded.
- Attach slings, hooks, or other devices to lift cargo and guide loads.
- Maintain equipment storage areas to ensure that inventory is protected.