Description : Set up or maintain laboratory equipment and collect samples from crops or animals. Prepare specimens or record data to assist scientists in biology or related life science experiments.
JobTitles : Research Associate, Seed Analyst, Agricultural Research Technician, Laboratory Technician, Research Technician, Research Assistant, Agricultural Research Technologist, County Extension Agent, Technician, Agricultural Laboratory Technician
- Receive and prepare laboratory samples for analysis, following proper protocols to ensure that they will be stored, prepared, and disposed of efficiently and effectively.
- Record data pertaining to experimentation, research, or animal care.
- Plant seeds in specified areas, and count the resulting plants to determine the percentage of seeds that germinated.
- Collect samples from crops or animals so testing can be performed.
- Measure or weigh ingredients used in testing or for purposes such as animal feed.
- Prepare data summaries, reports, or analyses that include results, charts, or graphs to document research findings and results.
- Set up laboratory or field equipment, and prepare sites for testing.
- Operate laboratory equipment such as spectrometers, nitrogen determination apparatus, air samplers, centrifuges, and potential hydrogen (pH) meters to perform tests.
- Adjust testing equipment, and prepare culture media, following standard procedures.
- Examine animals and specimens to determine the presence of diseases or other problems.