Description : Provide healthcare services typically performed by a physician, under the supervision of a physician. Conduct complete physicals, provide treatment, and counsel patients. May, in some cases, prescribe medication. Must graduate from an accredited educational program for physician assistants.
JobTitles : Physician Assistant (PA), Physician Assistant Certified (PAC), Physician's Assistant, Family Practice Physician Assistant, Midlevel Provider, Neurosurgical Physician Assistant, Orthopaedic Physician Assistant, Cardiology Physician Assistant, Cardiothoracic Surgery Physician Assistant, Cardiovascular Physician Assistant
- Examine patients to obtain information about their physical condition.
- Interpret diagnostic test results for deviations from normal.
- Obtain, compile and record patient medical data, including health history, progress notes and results of physical examination.
- Make tentative diagnoses and decisions about management and treatment of patients.
- Prescribe therapy or medication with physician approval.
- Administer or order diagnostic tests, such as x-ray, electrocardiogram, and laboratory tests.
- Perform therapeutic procedures, such as injections, immunizations, suturing and wound care, and infection management.
- Instruct and counsel patients about prescribed therapeutic regimens, normal growth and development, family planning, emotional problems of daily living, and health maintenance.
- Provide physicians with assistance during surgery or complicated medical procedures.
- Visit and observe patients on hospital rounds or house calls, updating charts, ordering therapy, and reporting back to physician.