Acute Care Nurses
Description : Provide advanced nursing care for patients with acute conditions such as heart attacks, respiratory distress syndrome, or shock. May care for pre- and post-operative patients or perform advanced, invasive diagnostic or therapeutic procedures.
JobTitles : Nurse Manager, Nursing Director, Progressive Care Unit Registered Nurse
- Perform emergency medical procedures, such as basic cardiac life support (BLS), advanced cardiac life support (ACLS), and other condition stabilizing interventions.
- Document data related to patients' care including assessment results, interventions, medications, patient responses, or treatment changes.
- Manage patients' pain relief and sedation by providing pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions, monitoring patients' responses, and changing care plans accordingly.
- Administer blood and blood product transfusions or intravenous infusions, monitoring patients for adverse reactions.
- Assess urgent and emergent health conditions using both physiologically and technologically derived data.
- Order, perform, or interpret the results of diagnostic tests and screening procedures based on assessment results, differential diagnoses, and knowledge about age, gender and health status of clients.
- Interpret information obtained from electrocardiograms (EKGs) or radiographs (x-rays).
- Set up, operate, or monitor invasive equipment and devices such as colostomy or tracheotomy equipment, mechanical ventilators, catheters, gastrointestinal tubes, and central lines.
- Diagnose acute or chronic conditions that could result in rapid physiological deterioration or life-threatening instability.
- Discuss illnesses and treatments with patients and family members.