Description : Diagnose and treat visual system disorders such as binocular vision and eye movement impairments.
JobTitles : Certified Orthoptist, Orthoptist, Clinical Orthoptist (CO)
- Examine patients with problems related to ocular motility, binocular vision, amblyopia, or strabismus.
- Evaluate, diagnose, or treat disorders of the visual system with an emphasis on binocular vision or abnormal eye movements.
- Perform diagnostic tests or measurements such as motor testing, visual acuity testing, lensometry, retinoscopy, and color vision testing.
- Develop non-surgical treatment plans for patients with conditions such as strabismus, nystagmus, and other visual disorders.
- Provide instructions to patients or family members concerning diagnoses or treatment plans.
- Provide non-surgical interventions, including corrective lenses, patches, drops, fusion exercises, or stereograms, to treat conditions such as strabismus, heterophoria, and convergence insufficiency.
- Develop or use special test and communication techniques to facilitate diagnosis and treatment of children or disabled patients.
- Interpret clinical or diagnostic test results.
- Refer patients to ophthalmic surgeons or other physicians.
- Provide training related to clinical methods or orthoptics to students, resident physicians, or other health professionals.