Description : Analyze chromosomes found in biological specimens such as amniotic fluids, bone marrow, and blood to aid in the study, diagnosis, or treatment of genetic diseases.
JobTitles : Cytogenetic Technologist, Clinical Laboratory Specialist in Cytogenetics (CLSp(CG))
- Analyze chromosomes found in biological specimens to aid diagnoses and treatments for genetic diseases such as congenital birth defects, fertility problems, and hematological disorders.
- Count numbers of chromosomes and identify the structural abnormalities by viewing culture slides through microscopes, light microscopes, or photomicroscopes.
- Examine chromosomes found in biological specimens to detect abnormalities.
- Arrange and attach chromosomes in numbered pairs on karyotype charts, using standard genetics laboratory practices and nomenclature, to identify normal or abnormal chromosomes.
- Prepare biological specimens such as amniotic fluids, bone marrow, tumors, chorionic villi, and blood, for chromosome examinations.
- Summarize test results and report to appropriate authorities.
- Harvest cell cultures using substances such as mitotic arrestants, cell releasing agents, and cell fixatives.
- Create chromosome images using computer imaging systems.
- Stain slides to make chromosomes visible for microscopy.
- Select or prepare specimens and media for cell cultures using aseptic techniques, knowledge of medium components, or cell nutritional requirements.