Orthotists & Prosthetists
Description : Design, measure, fit, and adapt orthopedic braces, appliances or prostheses, such as limbs or facial parts for patients with disabling conditions.
JobTitles : American Board Certified Orthotist (ABC Orthotist), Certified Orthotist (CO), Certified Prosthetist (CP), Certified Prosthetist/Orthotist (CPO), Licensed Prosthetist/Orthotist (LPO), Orthotic/Prosthetic Practitioner, Orthotist, Orthotist/Prosthetist, Pedorthist, Prosthetist
- Examine, interview, and measure patients to determine their appliance needs and to identify factors that could affect appliance fit.
- Fit, test, and evaluate devices on patients, and make adjustments for proper fit, function, and comfort.
- Instruct patients in the use and care of orthoses and prostheses.
- Maintain patients' records.
- Select materials and components to be used, based on device design.
- Design orthopedic and prosthetic devices, based on physicians' prescriptions and examination and measurement of patients.
- Make and modify plaster casts of areas that will be fitted with prostheses or orthoses, for use in the device construction process.
- Confer with physicians to formulate specifications and prescriptions for orthopedic or prosthetic devices.
- Construct and fabricate appliances or supervise others constructing the appliances.
- Train and supervise support staff, such as orthopedic and prosthetic assistants and technicians.