Description : Maintain order in courts of law.
JobTitles : Bailiff, Court Officer, Deputy Sheriff, Court Security Officer, Deputy Bailiff, Court Bailiff, Security Officer, Deputy Sheriff Court Services
- Screen persons entering courthouse using magnetometers, x-ray machines, and other devices to collect and retain unauthorized firearms and other contraband.
- Provide security by patrolling interior and exterior of courthouse and escorting judges and other court employees.
- Enforce courtroom rules of behavior and warn persons not to smoke or disturb court procedure.
- Maintain order in courtroom during trial and guard jury from outside contact.
- Check courtroom for security and cleanliness and assure availability of sundry supplies, such as notepads, for use by judge, jurors, and attorneys.
- Screen, control, and handle evidence and exhibits during court proceedings.
- Report need for police or medical assistance to sheriff's office.
- Stop people from entering courtroom while judge charges jury.
- Announce entrance of judge.
- Escort prisoners to and from courthouse and maintain custody of prisoners during court proceedings.