Description : Train animals for riding, harness, security, performance, or obedience, or assisting persons with disabilities. Accustom animals to human voice and contact; and condition animals to respond to commands. Train animals according to prescribed standards for show or competition. May train animals to carry pack loads or work as part of pack team.
JobTitles : Trainer, Dog Trainer, Horse Trainer, Guide Dog Instructor, Guide Dog Trainer, Agility Instructor, Cutting Horse Trainer, Dog and Cat Behavior Specialist, Guide Dog Mobility Instructor, Licensed Guide Dog Instructor
- Observe animals' physical conditions to detect illness or unhealthy conditions requiring medical care.
- Cue or signal animals during performances.
- Administer prescribed medications to animals.
- Evaluate animals to determine their temperaments, abilities, or aptitude for training.
- Feed or exercise animals or provide other general care, such as cleaning or maintaining holding or performance areas.
- Talk to or interact with animals to familiarize them to human voices or contact.
- Conduct training programs in order to develop and maintain desired animal behaviors for competition, entertainment, obedience, security, riding and related areas.
- Keep records documenting animal health, diet, or behavior.
- Advise animal owners regarding the purchase of specific animals.
- Train horses or other equines for riding, harness, show, racing, or other work, using knowledge of breed characteristics, training methods, performance standards, and the peculiarities of each animal.