Couriers & Messengers
Description : Pick up and deliver messages, documents, packages, and other items between offices or departments within an establishment or directly to other business concerns, traveling by foot, bicycle, motorcycle, automobile, or public conveyance.
JobTitles : Courier, Messenger, Driver, Laboratory Courier, Mailroom Courier, Transporter, Security Messenger, Distribution Technician, Mail Courier, Mail Technician
- Walk, ride bicycles, drive vehicles, or use public conveyances to reach destinations to deliver messages or materials.
- Load vehicles with listed goods, ensuring goods are loaded correctly and taking precautions with hazardous goods.
- Unload and sort items collected along delivery routes.
- Receive messages or materials to be delivered, and information on recipients, such as names, addresses, telephone numbers, and delivery instructions, communicated via telephone, two-way radio, or in person.
- Plan and follow the most efficient routes for delivering goods.
- Deliver messages and items, such as newspapers, documents, and packages, between establishment departments, and to other establishments and private homes.
- Sort items to be delivered according to the delivery route.
- Obtain signatures and payments, or arrange for recipients to make payments.
- Record information, such as items received and delivered and recipients' responses to messages.
- Check with home offices after completed deliveries to confirm deliveries and collections and to receive instructions for other deliveries.