Description : Inspect agricultural commodities, processing equipment, and facilities, and fish and logging operations, to ensure compliance with regulations and laws governing health, quality, and safety.
JobTitles : Brand Inspector; Consumer Safety Inspector (CSI); Deputy Brand Inspector; Food Inspector; Food Sanitarian; Grain Inspector; Inspector; Inspector, Food Safety and Inspection Service (Inspector, FSIS); Seed and Fertilizer Specialist; Shipping Point Inspector
- Inspect food products and processing procedures to determine whether products are safe to eat.
- Interpret and enforce government acts and regulations and explain required standards to agricultural workers.
- Set standards for the production of meat or poultry products or for food ingredients, additives, or compounds used to prepare or package products.
- Inspect agricultural commodities or related operations, as well as fish or logging operations, for compliance with laws and regulations governing health, quality, and safety.
- Label and seal graded products and issue official grading certificates.
- Monitor the operations and sanitary conditions of slaughtering or meat processing plants.
- Take emergency actions, such as closing production facilities, if product safety is compromised.
- Verify that transportation and handling procedures meet regulatory requirements.
- Inspect the cleanliness and practices of establishment employees.
- Examine, weigh, and measure commodities, such as poultry, eggs, meat, or seafood to certify qualities, grades, and weights.