Description : Construct, assemble, maintain, and repair stationary steam boilers and boiler house auxiliaries. Align structures or plate sections to assemble boiler frame tanks or vats, following blueprints. Work involves use of hand and power tools, plumb bobs, levels, wedges, dogs, or turnbuckles. Assist in testing assembled vessels. Direct cleaning of boilers and boiler furnaces. Inspect and repair boiler fittings, such as safety valves, regulators, automatic-control mechanisms, water columns, and auxiliary machines.
JobTitles : Boiler Maker, Boilermaker, Boilermaker Mechanic, Service Technician, Boiler Technician, Boiler Mechanic, Boilermaker Pipe Fitter, Boiler Welder, Boilermaker Welder
- Examine boilers, pressure vessels, tanks, or vats to locate defects, such as leaks, weak spots, or defective sections, so that they can be repaired.
- Bolt or arc weld pressure vessel structures and parts together, using wrenches or welding equipment.
- Inspect assembled vessels or individual components, such as tubes, fittings, valves, controls, or auxiliary mechanisms, to locate any defects.
- Repair or replace defective pressure vessel parts, such as safety valves or regulators, using torches, jacks, caulking hammers, power saws, threading dies, welding equipment, or metalworking machinery.
- Attach rigging and signal crane or hoist operators to lift heavy frame and plate sections or other parts into place.
- Bell, bead with power hammers, or weld pressure vessel tube ends to ensure leakproof joints.
- Lay out plate, sheet steel, or other heavy metal and locate and mark bending and cutting lines, using protractors, compasses, and drawing instruments or templates.
- Install manholes, handholes, taps, tubes, valves, gauges, or feedwater connections in drums of water tube boilers, using hand tools.
- Study blueprints to determine locations, relationships, or dimensions of parts.
- Straighten or reshape bent pressure vessel plates or structure parts, using hammers, jacks, or torches.