Description : Build rough wooden structures, such as concrete forms, scaffolds, tunnel, bridge, or sewer supports, billboard signs, and temporary frame shelters, according to sketches, blueprints, or oral instructions.
JobTitles : Carpenter, Apprentice Carpenter, Form Carpenter, Journeyman Carpenter, Rough Carpenter, Union Carpenter, Bridge Carpenter, Bridge Repair Crew Person
- Measure materials or distances, using square, measuring tape, or rule to lay out work.
- Study blueprints and diagrams to determine dimensions of structure or form to be constructed.
- Cut or saw boards, timbers, or plywood to required size, using handsaw, power saw, or woodworking machine.
- Mark cutting lines on materials, using pencil and scriber.
- Anchor and brace forms and other structures in place, using nails, bolts, anchor rods, steel cables, planks, wedges, and timbers.
- Erect forms, framework, scaffolds, hoists, roof supports, or chutes, using hand tools, plumb rule, and level.
- Assemble and fasten material together to construct wood or metal framework of structure, using bolts, nails, or screws.
- Bore boltholes in timber, masonry or concrete walls, using power drill.
- Maintain job records and schedule work crew.
- Install rough door and window frames, subflooring, fixtures, or temporary supports in structures undergoing construction or repair.