Sheet Metal Workers
Description : Fabricate, assemble, install, and repair sheet metal products and equipment, such as ducts, control boxes, drainpipes, and furnace casings. Work may involve any of the following: setting up and operating fabricating machines to cut, bend, and straighten sheet metal; shaping metal over anvils, blocks, or forms using hammer; operating soldering and welding equipment to join sheet metal parts; or inspecting, assembling, and smoothing seams and joints of burred surfaces. Includes sheet metal duct installers who install prefabricated sheet metal ducts used for heating, air conditioning, or other purposes.
JobTitles : Sheet Metal Mechanic; Sheet Metal Worker; Journeyman Sheetmetal Worker; HVAC Sheet Metal Installer (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Sheet Metal Installer); Sheet Metal Apprentice; Field Installer; Sheet Metal Fabricator; Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning - Refrigeration Technician (HVAC-R Technician); HVAC Technician (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Technician); Sheet Metal Installer
- Determine project requirements, including scope, assembly sequences, and required methods and materials, according to blueprints, drawings, and written or verbal instructions.
- Lay out, measure, and mark dimensions and reference lines on material, such as roofing panels, according to drawings or templates, using calculators, scribes, dividers, squares, and rulers.
- Fasten seams or joints together with welds, bolts, cement, rivets, solder, caulks, metal drive clips, or bonds to assemble components into products or to repair sheet metal items.
- Install assemblies, such as flashing, pipes, tubes, heating and air conditioning ducts, furnace casings, rain gutters, or downspouts in supportive frameworks.
- Convert blueprints into shop drawings to be followed in the construction or assembly of sheet metal products.
- Fabricate or alter parts at construction sites, using shears, hammers, punches, or drills.
- Select gauges or types of sheet metal or nonmetallic material, according to product specifications.
- Maneuver completed units into position for installation, and anchor the units.
- Transport prefabricated parts to construction sites for assembly and installation.
- Drill and punch holes in metal, for screws, bolts, and rivets.