Telecommunications Line Installers & Repairers
Description : Install and repair telecommunications cable, including fiber optics.
JobTitles : Combination Technician, Service Technician, Installation and Repair Technician (I & R Technician), Cable Splicer, Cable Technician, Installer, Outside Plant Technician, Construction Technician, Construction Worker, Lineman
- Travel to customers' premises to install, maintain, or repair audio and visual electronic reception equipment or accessories.
- Inspect or test lines or cables, recording and analyzing test results, to assess transmission characteristics and locate faults or malfunctions.
- Splice cables, using hand tools, epoxy, or mechanical equipment.
- Measure signal strength at utility poles, using electronic test equipment.
- Set up service for customers, installing, connecting, testing, or adjusting equipment.
- Place insulation over conductors or seal splices with moisture-proof covering.
- Access specific areas to string lines or install terminal boxes, auxiliary equipment, or appliances, using bucket trucks, or by climbing poles or ladders, or entering tunnels, trenches, or crawl spaces.
- String cables between structures and lines from poles, towers, or trenches and pull lines to proper tension.
- Install equipment such as amplifiers or repeaters to maintain the strength of communications transmissions.
- Lay underground cable directly in trenches or string it through conduits running through trenches.