Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, & Systems Assemblers
Description : Assemble, fit, fasten, and install parts of airplanes, space vehicles, or missiles, such as tails, wings, fuselage, bulkheads, stabilizers, landing gear, rigging and control equipment, or heating and ventilating systems.
JobTitles : Sheet Metal Assembler and Riveter (SMAR), Structures Technician, Helicopter Mechanic, Aircraft Line Assembler, Assembly Riveter, Helicopter Technician, Line Assembler, Structures Mechanic
- Align and fit structural assemblies manually, or signal crane operators to position assemblies for joining.
- Assemble prefabricated parts to form subassemblies.
- Assemble, install, and connect parts, fittings, and assemblies on aircraft, using layout tools, hand tools, power tools, and fasteners such as bolts, screws, rivets, and clamps.
- Position and align subassemblies in jigs or fixtures, using measuring instruments and following blueprint lines and index points.
- Cut, trim, file, bend, and smooth parts, and verify sizes and fitting tolerances in order to ensure proper fit and clearance of parts.
- Read and interpret blueprints, illustrations, and specifications to determine layouts, sequences of operations, or identities and relationships of parts.
- Align, fit, assemble, connect, or install system components, using jigs, fixtures, measuring instruments, hand tools, or power tools.
- Join structural assemblies, such as wings, tails, or fuselage.
- Layout and mark reference points and locations for installation of parts or components, using jigs, templates, or measuring and marking instruments.
- Adjust, repair, rework, or replace parts and assemblies to eliminate malfunctions and to ensure proper operation.