Milling & Planing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
Description : Set up, operate, or tend milling or planing machines to mill, plane, shape, groove, or profile metal or plastic work pieces.
JobTitles : CNC Mill Operator (Computerized Numerical Control Mill Operator), Machine Operator, Mill Operator, CNC Machinist (Computerized Numerical Control Machinist), CNC Machine Operator (Computerized Numerical Control Machine Operator), CNC Mill Set Up Operator (Computerized Numerical Control Mill Set Up Operator), CNC Operator (Computerized Numerical Control Operator), CNC Programmer (Computerized Numerical Control Programmer), CNC Inspector (Computer Numerical Control Inspector), CNC Lathe Operator (Computer Numerical Control Lathe Operator)
- Remove workpieces from machines, and check to ensure that they conform to specifications, using measuring instruments such as microscopes, gauges, calipers, and micrometers.
- Observe milling or planing machine operation and adjust controls to ensure conformance with specified tolerances.
- Position and secure workpieces on machines, using holding devices, measuring instruments, hand tools, and hoists.
- Study blueprints, layouts, sketches, or work orders to assess workpiece specifications and to determine tooling instructions, tools and materials needed, and sequences of operations.
- Move controls to set cutting specifications, to position cutting tools and workpieces in relation to each other, and to start machines.
- Compute dimensions, tolerances, and angles of workpieces or machines, according to specifications and knowledge of metal properties and shop mathematics.
- Verify alignment of workpieces on machines, using measuring instruments such as rules, gauges, or calipers.
- Select cutting speeds, feed rates, and depths of cuts, applying knowledge of metal properties and shop mathematics.
- Move cutters or material manually or by turning handwheels, or engage automatic feeding mechanisms to mill workpieces to specifications.
- Replace worn tools, using hand tools, and sharpen dull tools, using bench grinders.