Molding, Coremaking, & Casting Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
Description : Set up, operate, or tend metal or plastic molding, casting, or coremaking machines to mold or cast metal or thermoplastic parts or products.
JobTitles : Machine Operator, Production Technician, Process Technician, Injection Press Operator, Die Cast Technician, Press Operator, Core Machine Operator, Eight Arm Operator, Cup Fabricating Machine Operator, Cup Operator
- Observe continuous operation of automatic machines to ensure that products meet specifications and to detect jams or malfunctions, making adjustments as necessary.
- Measure and visually inspect products for surface and dimension defects to ensure conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments.
- Set up, operate, or tend metal or plastic molding, casting, or coremaking machines to mold or cast metal or thermoplastic parts or products.
- Position and secure workpieces on machines, and start feeding mechanisms.
- Turn valves and dials of machines to regulate pressure, temperature, and speed and feed rates, and to set cycle times.
- Remove finished or cured products from dies or molds, using hand tools, air hoses, and other equipment, stamping identifying information on products when necessary.
- Skim or pour dross, slag, or impurities from molten metal, using ladles, rakes, hoes, spatulas, or spoons.
- Trim excess material from parts, using knives, and grind scrap plastic into powder for reuse.
- Cool products after processing to prevent distortion.
- Install dies onto machines or presses and coat dies with parting agents, according to work order specifications.