Power Distributors & Dispatchers
Description : Coordinate, regulate, or distribute electricity or steam.
JobTitles : System Operator, Dispatcher, Transmission System Operator, Electric System Operator, Control Operator, Distribution Operations Supervisor, Distribution System Operator, Power System Dispatcher, Control Area Operator, Power System Operator
- Respond to emergencies, such as transformer or transmission line failures, and route current around affected areas.
- Prepare switching orders that will isolate work areas without causing power outages, referring to drawings of power systems.
- Control, monitor, or operate equipment that regulates or distributes electricity or steam, using data obtained from instruments or computers.
- Coordinate with engineers, planners, field personnel, or other utility workers to provide information such as clearances, switching orders, or distribution process changes.
- Direct personnel engaged in controlling or operating distribution equipment or machinery, such as instructing control room operators to start boilers or generators.
- Distribute or regulate the flow of power between entities, such as generating stations, substations, distribution lines, or users, keeping track of the status of circuits or connections.
- Monitor and record switchboard or control board readings to ensure that electrical or steam distribution equipment is operating properly.
- Track conditions that could affect power needs, such as changes in the weather, and adjust equipment to meet any anticipated changes.
- Manipulate controls to adjust or activate power distribution equipment or machines.
- Calculate load estimates or equipment requirements to determine required control settings.