Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, & Gaugers
Description : Operate or control petroleum refining or processing units. May specialize in controlling manifold and pumping systems, gauging or testing oil in storage tanks, or regulating the flow of oil into pipelines.
JobTitles : Pumper, Refinery Operator, Board Operator, Gauger, Stillman, Unit Operator, Crude Unit Operator, Head Operator, Hydrotreater Operator, Outside Operator
- Monitor process indicators, instruments, gauges, and meters to detect and report any possible problems.
- Start pumps and open valves or use automated equipment to regulate the flow of oil in pipelines and into and out of tanks.
- Control or operate manifold and pumping systems to circulate liquids through a petroleum refinery.
- Operate control panels to coordinate and regulate process variables such as temperature and pressure, and to direct product flow rate, according to process schedules.
- Signal other workers by telephone or radio to operate pumps, open and close valves, and check temperatures.
- Verify that incoming and outgoing products are moving through the correct meters, and that meters are working properly.
- Read automatic gauges at specified intervals to determine the flow rate of oil into or from tanks, and the amount of oil in tanks.
- Operate auxiliary equipment and control multiple processing units during distilling or treating operations, moving controls that regulate valves, pumps, compressors, and auxiliary equipment.
- Plan movement of products through lines to processing, storage, and shipping units, using knowledge of system interconnections and capacities.
- Read and analyze specifications, schedules, logs, test results, and laboratory recommendations to determine how to set equipment controls to produce the required qualities and quantities of products.