Precious Metal Workers
Description : Cast, anneal, solder, hammer, or shape gold, silver, pewter or other metals to form jewelry or other metal items such as goblets or candlesticks.
JobTitles : Silversmith, Caster, Goldsmith, Artist, Fabricator, Pewterer, Bench Mechanic, Restoration Silversmith, Platinum Smith
- Cut and file pieces of jewelry such as rings, brooches, bracelets, and lockets.
- Solder parts together or fill holes and cracks with metal solder, using gas torches.
- Polish articles by hand or by using a polishing wheel.
- Pierce and cut open designs in ornamentation, using hand drills and scroll saws.
- Position and align auxiliary parts in jigs, and join parts using solder and blowtorches.
- Examine articles to determine the nature of defects requiring repair, such as dents, uneven bottoms, scratches, or holes.
- Shape and straighten damaged or twisted articles by hand or using pliers.
- Anneal precious metal objects such as coffeepots, tea sets, and trays in gas ovens for prescribed times to soften metal for reworking.
- Rotate molds to distribute alloys and to prevent formation of air pockets.
- Weigh and mix alloy ingredients, using formulas and knowledge of ingredients' chemical properties.