Painting, Coating, & Decorating Workers
Description : Paint, coat, or decorate articles such as furniture, glass, plateware, pottery, jewelry, toys, books, or leather.
JobTitles : Painter, Decorator, Glazer, Silk-Screen Operator, Artist, Pottery Decorator, In Mold Coater, Spray Painter, Decaler, Glass Decorator
- Apply coatings, such as paint, ink, or lacquer, to protect or decorate workpiece surfaces, using spray guns, pens, or brushes.
- Examine finished surfaces of workpieces to verify conformance to specifications and retouch any defective areas.
- Clean and maintain tools and equipment, using solvents, brushes, and rags.
- Read job orders and inspect workpieces to determine work procedures and materials required.
- Clean surfaces of workpieces in preparation for coating, using cleaning fluids, solvents, brushes, scrapers, steam, sandpaper, or cloth.
- Rinse, drain, or wipe coated workpieces to remove excess coating material or to facilitate setting of finish coats on workpieces.
- Place coated workpieces in ovens or dryers for specified times to dry or harden finishes.
- Select and mix ingredients to prepare coating substances according to specifications, using paddles or mechanical mixers.
- Melt or heat coating materials to specified temperatures.
- Conceal blemishes in workpieces, such as nicks and dents, using fillers such as putty.