Ship & Boat Captains
Description : Command vessels in oceans, bays, lakes, rivers, or coastal waters.
JobTitles : Captain, Boat Operator, Charter Boat Captain, Ferry Boat Captain, Harbor Tug Captain, Tow Boat Captain, Tug Captain, Relief Captain, Ship Captain, Tugboat Captain
- Steer and operate vessels, using radios, depth finders, radars, lights, buoys, or lighthouses.
- Compute positions, set courses, and determine speeds, using charts, area plotting sheets, compasses, sextants, and knowledge of local conditions.
- Inspect vessels to ensure efficient and safe operation of vessels and equipment and conformance to regulations.
- Measure depths of water, using depth-measuring equipment.
- Direct or coordinate crew members or workers performing activities such as loading or unloading cargo, steering vessels, operating engines, or operating, maintaining, or repairing ship equipment.
- Monitor the loading or discharging of cargo or passengers.
- Calculate sightings of land, using electronic sounding devices and following contour lines on charts.
- Signal passing vessels, using whistles, flashing lights, flags, or radios.
- Maintain boats or equipment on board, such as engines, winches, navigational systems, fire extinguishers, or life preservers.
- Signal crew members or deckhands to rig tow lines, open or close gates or ramps, or pull guard chains across entries.